Ian's OpenBSD Laptop Status
This is a list of laptops I have used with OpenBSD.
Acer Aspire One
Compaq Presario R4035
- OpenBSD 4.x-current (Jun 2009) works in both i386 and amd64 mode.
- CardBus works if you update the BIOS or
change PCIBIOS to "flags 1" using boot -c
or using a custom kernel
- X works out of the box.
- Wireless card works as bwi(4), but starts interrupt storm after minutes,
so not really usable. Get a cheap USB wireless.
- Sound works, sort of: the chipset seems to be stuck at 48KHz whereas
most software expects to be able to set it to 44.1 KHz (so sound
comes out at slightly wrong speed).
- The SD card (sdhc(4)/sdmmc(4)) memory slot does not work.
Dell Studio 15
- OpenBSD 4.8-current (Dec 2010) works fine (amd64 mode tested)
- Be sure to order with the Intel Wireless; the Broadcom is not yet supported
- ACPI suspend/resume works
- At least one of the SD card slot works
- See detailed write-up at